South Sassafras becomes Kallista
As the communities grew, the names of Sassafras, Sassafras Gully and South Sassafras caused confusion and a prize was offered to choose a suitable name for South Sassafras. Kallista was chosen. It is from the Greek, “Kallistos” meaning “most beautiful”. The school became Kallista State School on 1st April 1925.
The school grows
The school attendance doubled and in 1932 a school building was moved, piece by piece, from Tarrawarra (Gruyere area) to make another classroom. The land was transformed from a clearing in the forest to a well ordered school ground with gardens, a basketball court, a cricket pitch and plenty of space for future development.
In 1937, Kallista State School ceased to have children beyond Grade 6 as the Upwey Higher Elementary School opened. This resulted in students leaving, but it also changed the character of the school.
In the late 1940’s and 50’s, a number of Dutch settlers moved into the area and enrolled in the school resulting in increased enrolments. Additional classrooms were added in 1954, 1955 and 1966. In 1943 a School Residence was built in the school grounds for the head teacher.
School in 1950’s
Mrs Wilma Everingham nee Willy Van Dyke wrote of her recollections at the school the 1950’s.
“The setting was superb. In the midst of the Sherbrooke Forest we had nature’s playground. Our nature walks always took us to creeks, finding lyrebird mounds and listening to bird calls etc.
All those interests vested by our school principal, Mr Hodge, gave, I’m sure, all of us the best values of life. Well renowned for his beautiful handwriting, Mr Hodge was a very fair man. Detention was milk monitoring or helping load burnable debris on the bonfire which we had annually for Guy Fawkes Night attended by the whole district. “
School in the 1970’s and 80’s
The school grew rapidly in the 70’s and 80’s with relocatable classrooms being brought in. A new school at The Patch opened in 1982 relieving the pressure of overcrowding at Kallista. In 1984 the school residence was removed and the area was developed into an adventure playground.
The Fire Refuge is built – opened in 1991
Relocatable classrooms were temporarily moved to the oval in December 1989 to allow for excavation and construction of the Fire Refuge throughout 1990. The Fire Refuge was built for a cost of $520,000 and it was the only one built in this style in Victoria. The building is constructed of solid brick and concrete with heavy shutters. It can be completely cut off in event of a fire and has its own generator, water storage system, toilets, and air unit.
On 14th June, 1985 the school celebrated “Future day” and buried a time capsule in concrete beside the canteen. Children’s work, photos and newspapers were included. The capsule is to be opened in 2034. (50 years from when it was buried)
Centenary of Kallista Township
In 1993, Kallista township celebrated its centenary with celebrations in the town and at the school. A book about the school was published : “Kallista – A school in the Forest – 1919 to 1993.” Much of the information above has been taken from this book.
Permaculture Garden – Kitchen Garden program
In August 1999, a permaculture garden was built by parents and children at the school. A few parents with Permaculture training, guided teachers and children as vegetable plants were grown, then harvested produce was used in class cooking activities.
In January 2007, Kallista Primary School was accepted into the Stephanie Alexander Kitchen Garden Program. With children in grades F-6 having regular timetabled garden sessions under instruction of a part time garden specialist, the garden has grown and flourished. Harvested produce is turned into tasty meals by the children. Read more about our Kitchen Garden program in its own section of this website.
Head Teachers/Principals – Kallista SS
Evelyn Nicholls 1919-1919
Robina Leckie 1919-1919
Alice Meagher 1919-1919
Louisa A. Merriton (Taylor) 1919-1920
Ellen M. Fitzpatrick (Mc Donald) 1921- 1924
Robert S. Peel 1924-1926
Sydney H. Crawford 1926-1926
Bertrand J. Robert 1927-1927
Harrie B.R. Winton-Smith 1927-1934
Herbert J. Cheong 1934-1942
Arnold E. Brisbane 1942-1943
Alfred M. Hollow 1943-1949
Herbert L. Hodge 1950-1961
Russell J. Evans 1962-1962
Keith Herten 1963-1965
Cedric C.C. Breen 1966-1969
Donald Bull 1970-1970
Donald E. Matthews 1971-1975
George E. Clancy 1975-1977
Alexander S. McLean 1977-1978
Ian Lobbe 1978-1979
Russell Brown 1980-1980
Dennis Tonks 1981-1983
Brian Smith 1984 – 1992
Sue White 1992-2000
Terry O’Bree 2000-2003
Barbara Rose 2004 – 2014
Christine Finighan 2014-Present